Blue Lunch Box -DIY
Because I made my son a red lunch bag my daughter wanted a blue lunch box of her own too. Also, she conveniently lost hers at the end of the school year. So I told her I would make one just for her. But I wanted to do something different. I wasn't completely satisfied on how my sons bag turned out. He loves it and for that I am grateful. but for my daughter...I had other ideas. I started out with a plastic bento type lunch box. This one was nifty because it came with an ice pack and two little containers that fit inside. This was also perfect for me since it was about the size that I wanted anyways. I figured how wide and how much taller I wanted the bag to cover the box.
Once I had what I wanted I made sure to sketch where I wanted my handles to go and where my hook and loop tape would go.
I let my daughter pick out her own fabric from Fabric.com. This is what she picked out for the inside. It is oilcloth. I love it. This was also the first time that I have sewed oilcloth. I was expecting all sorts of difficulty. It wasn't hard to sew at all. Just make sure that you put a layer of painters tape on your foot to keep the oilcloth from sticking to your sewing foot.
I neglected to take pictures of the other fabric. I also cut out the outer fabric which is a blue canvas and the insulating thermo layer. I don't remember the name of the product but I purchased the thermo layer from Joanns fabric store. It has a a thin layer of metal, like aluminum foil but thinner, in between the layers of batting. I had to patch some pieces together since I didn't quite have enough for the entire layer. I then treated the thermo layer and the canvas as one piece of fabric. To keep it all together I sewed them together within the seam allowance.
Now let me say right now I have a habit of getting ahead of myself when I sew. I had sewn the outer layer together to form the bag before I added the handles and hook and loop tape. Don't do that. Life is hard enough as it is. Don't make it harder on yourself like I did.
The picture below shows the outer bag with the hook and loop tape and the handle already attached.
Once I had the oilcloth, also with the hook and loop taped sewn on as well as the side seams sewn up, I matched the seams up right sides together and clipped around the edges. You don't want to pin because you don't want too many holes in that oilcloth. Especially on the seam line it makes it weak and can tear like perforated notebook paper.
This is what the bag looked like as I was sewing it. You can see the Frankenstein like stitches on the thermo layer where I needed to patch the pieces together.
Once the outer edges were sewn I left a hole to turn everything out through on the edge of the box and not the lid. Before turning make sure you clip the curves and the corners and trim the allowances. I had everything turned before I realized that I should have clipped the corners where the lid and the box meet. I tore some of the oilcloth because of that. Thankfully not a lot but enough that I noticed and had to fix so everything would like flat and look pretty.
Last seam. With everything flipped and straightened out and looking pretty I still had to close the hole that the fabric was flipped through. So I sewed around the edges making sure that I securely closed the hole. I bulldog clipped everything in place so it wouldn't move.
And there you are. The completed bag. The handle is webbing that I picked up somewhere. It was in my stash and my daughter loved it. It was much easier doing that than making a handle out of canvas which is what I was going to do until she saw that.
I think this one turned out pretty well. I am a lot happier with this lunch box than my sons. It took less time and was a lot less painful than the bag I made for my son.